Tate Modern. 1968:Protest and THE Photobook

As we know, worldwide protests of 1968 for the civil rights, feminism, against military and bureaucratic elites… massive protests all over the World, one of the most dramatic years in modern history. And such  a small room (as I can call it a room) at Tate Modern with artists work about protests. So the question is why then I spend in this room more time than in others? The answer is posters.  They will tell you  how the 1968 year protests impacted on artists, inspiring agitation propogandation posters, such a new form of art. Posters are simple, not goo drawing, but “screaming”. “RETOUR A LA NORMALE” – return to normal, with sheeps on it, French poster. Even if you don’t know the French, you can easily understand what is this poster telling you. Clone of sheep Dolly, making everyone the same. The most posters from France, as we know the best known events took place in France.

The photobooks were published around all this year, and showing political activism in France, Japan, Italy, Czechoslovakia. Some photos document activism actions.

Should be there some documentary film about these protest? Unfortunately I didn’t find it, or pass away, without any attention.

Even I spent long time in this room, I would expected to see more about this historical year.

If to talk about Tate Modern as a MODERN exhibition center in London,  I would say just it huge. The navigation here always makes me confuse.

chris marker.