Reflect on experiences of cross cultural communication in a learning context

Over 9 month past since I start my Foundation course at London College of Communication. Studying abroad was a big experience for me, as it was first time, when I spend more than 6 month in another country and have been studying at University. But at the end of my course I can steadily say, It was such a nice experience, which help me to improve my communication skills and the way of my thinking in a good direction.

I can describe myself as introvert person, so I was worrying a lot about my study in London. Most of my worries was about: language barrier, difference in mentality, age difference. 

Before I give some examples about my experiences of cross cultural communication, I would say, that all my worries were greatly overstated.

As a student of foundation course, we have lot of workshops during our Level 3. I would like to speak about one of them, when we were working in group of 4 people (all of student in my group were from different countries). In the class we got some amount of chewy candies and supposed to organise them to present  Data Visualisation. First 3 minutes we were confusing, how we should start, how to organise our team. But maybe as we are art students and we are involved and interesting in process our communication was good, even language barrier wasn’t a problem. I just understand one thing – if you don’t understand someone, you should ask as much question as will help you to understand person. It is great opportunity to study with International team, because we are from different countries and have different mentality and point of view, it helps you to learn more and quicker, it is helps me to see the world around with wild open eyes, it allowed me to see things differently, beyond the boundaries of my mentality and education.  

As a conclusion I want to say, that studying abroad for art and design student gives you lots of opportunities to improve yourself.